Home » Mid-Range Accommodation
Travellers Rest Hotel
Being one of the oldest hotels in Uganda, with a history steeped in gorilla conservation, Travellers Rest becomes a must for your gorilla trekking in the area. It boasts an impressive list of guests. To name just one: Dian Fossey, who even called this her second home.
Built-in 1955 by Walter Baumgartel, the so-called father of gorilla tourism, it quickly became a meeting place for people interested in the mountain gorillas. It was entirely renovated in 1999, but the charm of the somewhat colonial style still remains up to today.
Situated just outside Kisoro, the area is of astonishing beauty and the views of the Virunga volcanoes dominating the landscape will remain engraved in your memory.
Accommodation at Travellers Rest Hotel include;
Twelve 12 en-suite rooms, tastefully decorated with a unique selection of Congo art. The spacious rooms overlook a well-groomed courtyard and have the magical Virunga volcanoes as a backdrop.
Facilities and services at Travellers Rest Hotel include;
- The lounge with its big fireplace becomes the perfect spot in the evening, to wind down from a day filled with experiences.
- Garden from where you can enjoy the views on the magical Virunga volcanoes.
- Dinners are served in A Congolese art decorated restaurant and consist of a delicious four-course set menu with lots of produce from this fertile region.
Mutanda Lake Resort
Perched on a Lake Mutanda peninsula in the shadow of the Virunga Mountains, the resort offers comfortable accommodation combined with beautiful views. It is a perfect base for gorilla trackers, lake loungers, volcano hikers and bird lovers as well as those looking for a mystical place in nature.
Accommodation at Mutanda Lake Resort include;
13 en-suite Cottages that come in single, double/twin, and triple/family rooms with comfortable beds and mosquito nets. Each cottage is perched on a wooden platform and has a private verandah and en-suite bathroom.
Facilities and services at Mutanda Lake Resort include;
- Restaurant, serving delicious meals, prepared with herbs and vegetables the lodge’s garden.
- A fully stocked bar with soft and hard drinks.
- Laundry service is provided at the lodge for guests staying two or more consecutive nights. Laundry is hand washed and air-dried.
- The lodge provides free wireless internet from the restaurant, enabling you to share your gorilla experiences with your family and friends at home.