Home » Accommodation in Mgahinga
Mount Gahinga Lodge
Mount Gahinga Lodge is located Ntebeko in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park. The lodge is the perfect base to go gorilla tracking in Uganda. Its rustic charm is inspired by traditional design and building techniques.
Accommodation at Mount Gahinga Lodge include;
Eight cottages that are called bandas. Two of the cottages are deluxe. All are comfortable luxury cottages with a fireplace for those chilly Gorilla Highlands evenings.
Bandas are individually named after each of the Virunga Volcanoes. Each guest room at Mount Gahinga Lodge contains an en-suite luxury shower and has a private veranda with spectacular views perfect for the Gorilla Trek Sundowners.
Facilities and services at Mount Gahinga Lodge
- The main area of the lodge is warm and welcoming with a restaurant and bar
- Meals are exquisite culinary delights. A fusion of meals you may know but with that local African touch.
- Drinks including all soft drinks and alcoholic Beverages such as House Wines, Local Beers, and local spirits such as Uganda Waragi are part of the full-board stay at the Lodge
- Wi-Fi and charging stations available in the main lodge building.
- Direct private footpath to access gorilla tracking
- Personal butler service for all guests
- solar electricity
- An open fireplace in cool evenings
Midrange safari lodges in Mgahinga National Park
2. Travellers Rest Hotel-Midrange
Being one of the oldest hotels in Uganda, with a history steeped in gorilla conservation, Travellers Rest becomes a must for your gorilla trekking in the area. It boasts an impressive list of guests. To name just one: Dian Fossey, who even called this her second home.
Built-in 1955 by Walter Baumgartel, the so-called father of gorilla tourism, it quickly became a meeting place for people interested in the mountain gorillas. It was entirely renovated in 1999, but the charm of the somewhat colonial style still remains up to today.
Situated just outside Kisoro, the area is of astonishing beauty and the views of the Virunga volcanoes dominating the landscape will remain engraved in your memory.
Accommodation at Travellers Rest Hotel include;
Twelve 12 en-suite rooms, tastefully decorated with a unique selection of Congo art. The spacious rooms overlook a well-groomed courtyard and have the magical Virunga volcanoes as a backdrop.
Facilities and services at Travellers Rest Hotel include;
- The lounge with its big fireplace becomes the perfect spot in the evening, to wind down from a day filled with experiences.
- Garden from where you can enjoy the views on the magical Virunga volcanoes.
- Dinners are served in A Congolese art decorated restaurant and consist of a delicious four-course set menu with lots of produce from this fertile region.
3. Mutanda Lake Resort
Perched on a Lake Mutanda peninsula in the shadow of the Virunga Mountains, the resort offers comfortable accommodation combined with beautiful views. It is a perfect base for gorilla trackers, lake loungers, volcano hikers and bird lovers as well as those looking for a mystical place in nature.
Accommodation at Mutanda Lake Resort include;
13 en-suite Cottages that come in single, double/twin, and triple/family rooms with comfortable beds and mosquito nets. Each cottage is perched on a wooden platform and has a private verandah and en-suite bathroom.
Facilities and services at Mutanda Lake Resort include;
- Restaurant, serving delicious meals, prepared with herbs and vegetables the lodge’s garden.
- A fully stocked bar with soft and hard drinks.
- Laundry service is provided at the lodge for guests staying two or more consecutive nights. Laundry is hand washed and air-dried.
- The lodge provides free wireless internet from the restaurant, enabling you to share your gorilla experiences with your family and friends at home.
Budget safari lodges in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
4. Amajambere Iwacu Community Camp−Budget
Amajambere Iwacu Community Camp is located at the entrance to Mgahinga National Park and is only 12 km from the south-western town of Kisoro, near the Rwandan border. At the camp, visitors can enjoy the magnificent views of the famous Virunga Volcanoes and take part in monkey trekking as it is located at the starting point for golden monkey trekking through the National Park. Apart from providing accommodation for tourists, the camp also supports community-based initiatives such as a handcraft group for women.
Amajambere Iwacu Community Camp Rooms
Guests can choose between the Campsite, Dormitories or Bandas. The camp has a wide area for camping as well as five Bandas of which two serve as dormitories. The spacious gathering shelter with indoor and outdoor dining serves typical Ugandan meals and has a well-stocked canteen serving beers, sodas, snacks, and basic essentials.
- Campsites, the campsite accommodates 20 people and Includes self-catering. There are two camping areas at the Community Camp, both areas can accommodation 20 people with their own tents.
- Dormitories; there are 6 dormitories and each can sleep up to 12 people on bunk beds.
- Bandas; there are two bandas and each has a double bed and is set in the lush garden.
- En-suite bandas; there are two self-contained bandas with two single beds and an en-suite bathroom.
Facilities at Iwacu Community Camp Rooms
- Restaurant on Premises
- Parking on Premises
- Outdoor dining serves typical Ugandan meals and has a well-stocked canteen serving beers, sodas, snacks, and basic essentials.